20 Interesting Science Topics For Your Next Academic Essay
If you are trying to write an academic essay, you should keep in mind a few crucial things.The topic is something that should be chosen very carefully since your whole piece is going to build around it.It should present an idea based on evidence, persuading the reader into a certain direction.How you present the evidence itself should be looked at as well, since how you write matters as much as what you write about.
- Latest discoveries. Science has many branches, and people are working non-stop to elucidate some of the world most important questions, and many people believe science will do just that.
- Clean energy. This topic is crucial for everyone at the moment since our planet can't really sustain humankind for much longer, we need some new and fresh ideas how to power ourselves without destroying the environment. Zero Point energy is a must.
- Cure for the well-known diseases. There are many things that kill us, but none of them as devastating and as "hard to kill" as a disease. Scientists are working as we speak to find a cure for some of the worst illness out there; that cause millions of victims every year.
- Bionic technology. This could be the future for a lot of people who are missing a limb, or for some who want to upgrade their already used body.
- GMO food. This is a very controversial subject since major corporations are using these techniques to produce their food. Most of the pesticides and herbicides that are used help the plants, but kill the people that consume them.
- The human brain. While we haven't understood very much about our brain, we know that it hides extraordinary power, and if you can create artificial links between memories, you can change the long term behaviour of the subject
- Communication. We live in a fast-paced world, our schedule is very busy, so most of the people don't have time to waste. That's why more and more efficient ways of communication between humans are being invented.
- Astronauts. There are many scientists who research on what happens to a man after he has spent a considerable amount of time in zero gravity, the effects on the body and so on.
- Other planets. There are too many planets to count in our universe, but if we focus on our solar system. For example, Mars was known to be a toxic environment but new pieces of evidence suggest that it may have liquid water, which is needed to sustain life.
- The effects of high-fat food on the body. It's well known that it's very unhealthy for us, and new evidence suggest it's even worse than people imagine. High intake of this food could even trigger psychiatric disorders.
- Antidotes. Nature can sometimes be our enemy, and many people die from scorpion or snakes bites every year.
- The effects of breastfeeding. It has been linked that, the longer a mother breastfeeds her baby, the higher the IQ and overall capabilities of that baby will be when he grows up.
- Mutations. Our DNA is something very complex that isn't fully understood, never the less the mutations that sometimes appear. They are caused by a number of factors, some natural and some not so much, and there are many ways that you can prevent them.
- Psychedelics. There are many substances that alter your state of consciousness out there, and some of them could actually help subjects from getting rid of suicidal thoughts to growing on a spiritual level.
- Smartphones make subject "dumber". A new link has been found that people who use smartphones a lot, especially the younger generation, have a lower analytical, verbal, and numerical skills.
- Dark Matter. Our universe if made up of some very little understood energies, and in this case it might be that it affects us much more than we realized.
- Life on other planets. Alien life is a controversial subject, but from an objective point of view, it is possible, it just hasn't been discovered yet (some would say).
- GMO human embryos. It has been done in China by a group of scientists, although the implications for this are well out of their league. Some people say they are "playing God."
- Natural cures. There are many drugs that can do the trick right now, but mother nature has some of the best cures for many of the conditions that people suffer these days, and science backs this up.
- Frequency. If we take a look at quantum mechanics, our universe if based on frequencies. And since they are present everywhere, they can affect us in ways that we didn't even think about before.
Great topics for science term papers
If your science professor has assigned a term paper, then you need a topic. Since term papers are not written overnight, you need a topic that interests you, is relatively easy to research, and fits the requirements for the assignment. These are a few topics for different science subjects:
- Tampering with weather systems
- The role of the storm chaser
- Elastic-rebound theory
- Protecting groundwater
- The role of government regarding invasive species, like Asian carp
- Engineering and geography
- Protecting habitats
- Creating an affordable alternative to petroleum
- Mercury in our food (especially fish)
- Polymers and 3D printing
- Chemistry and terrorism
- pH and human diets
- Aging and plastic surgery
- Artificial body replacements
- Medications and the brain
- Physical effects of food allergies
- Hearing and the earbuds
- Carbon credits
- Status of the ozone
- Oceans and pollution
- Digging for gold and the effects on the environment
- Fluoride in water systems
- Turning cities into urban farms
- Gene mapping
- Choosing genetics for children
- Genetically engineered food
- Disappearing foods
Earth and Physical Science Topics:
Show Your Knowledge with Evidence-Based Thought
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of term paper ideas for topics. The key is to find a topic that you are thoroughly interested in learning about because you will spend so much time focused on this paper. Since your term paper is all about what you have learned and what more you want to learn, you will need to show your knowledge as well as evidence of unique thought.
Find a Current Problem and Investigate the Solutions
Most science term papers need to present a current problem (or even a future problem) and discuss how science can help solve it. You might find that the problem is so new that no one has come up with a theory. If you are in a graduate degree program, your term paper could become the basis for a future thesis.
Talk Through a Topic if You Cannot Make a Decision
If you are having difficulty creating a topic, then you should take some time to visit with your professor. Many students find that they just need to talk through a few topic ideas before they make their final selections. Students should talk through their topics with their professors because they know how to ask the right questions to help students make the best decisions. Otherwise, a friend who is knowledgeable about science topics can be a good resource, too.