The Importance of Information and Communications Technology Essay
631 Words3 Pages
The Importance of Information and Communications Technology
Information and communications technology (ICT) is generally regarded as the overlap of computer information and telecommunications technologies, and their applications. In this document the term ICT is used to indicate the whole range of technologies involved in information processing and electronic communications, including the internet, electronic mail and videoconferencing.
In recent years ICT has had, and is continuing to have, an increasingly significant impact on all aspects of society. There are few areas of life, at home and in work, where this new technology has not made an impact. ICT expands our access to, and understanding…show more content…
It is thus of vital importance that all young people have adequate access to ICT and that they develop the necessary skills, taking full advantage of the learning capabilities that ICT offers. Schools have a special responsibility to ensure that young people receive the provision that they are entitled to. As the 5-14 stages represent 9 out of the 11 years of compulsory education, they have a key role to play in developing ICT capability.
Several aspects of ICT are particularly significant for schools. These are:
· the importance of developing ICT skills to meet the needs of the individual and society
· exploiting the potential of ICT to support learning and teaching across the curriculum
· the uses of ICT to support broader educational aims, such as positive dispositions towards learning, enhanced presentation of work, problem solving and investigative approaches
· the potential for communicating and researching locally and globally, including access to a global bank of information
· the ability to share ideas and work collaboratively
· the ability to access expertise through a variety of techniques.
Ultimately the educational purpose of ICT should be to assist pupils to play their full part in society. They should be well informed about the current and potential applications of ICT and be skilled and effective in using them. They
Information and communications technology (ICT) Essay
3161 Words13 Pages
Information and communications technology (ICT)?
To illustrate the importance of Information and Communications technology (ICT) for the smooth running of a multi-site business.
Information and communications technology is a system used to control, manage, process and create information through telecommunications technology and computers. (Otherwise known as ICT). Although information and communications technology describes a large range of systems there are still some underlining common features.
An information system incorporates a group of people, equipment and procedures. It is there to collect, record, process, store, retrieve and present information.
The importance of ICT for the smooth running of a multi-site business…show more content…
EPOS ordering systems being an example of this, as a product is purchased an order is placed for more stock.
- Commerce opportunities: ICT can improve a company’s internal and external operations. Internally, a company can use ICT to streamline, integrate and synchronise key operating processes, (such as procurement, order fulfilment and customer service). Then it can extend these ICT enabled processes to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of supply and distribution channels.
- Content opportunities: Benefits are achieved when a company harnesses information and knowledge located inside and outside the company to improve the performance of individuals and groups as they make decisions and take actions. The individuals and groups in question may belong to the same organisation or they may be customers, suppliers and business partners working with company employees to achieve common goals. As well as making people work “smarter”, information and knowledge can be used to create new products and services or to add value to existing ones, thus improving a company’s competitive position.
- Community Opportunities: Benefits can also be achieved when a company uses networked technologies to increase the commitment and loyalty of internal and external communities. Inside the company, e-mail, groupware and intranets can be used to link employees around the world to information resources, internal work