I like DDLC and Monika is my Waifu 4 weeks ago
I like this
aidan 8 weeks ago
can you add topics about pitching
Virginia Kearney 4 months agofrom United States
Hi Ryan--I'll add some! Good idea! My students are mostly between 18-22, but many students writing argument essays are older.
Ryan 4 months ago
I love your articles, they are really helpful to me.
Virginia, Could you help me think of an argumentative topic about retirement age? I do not know how to write about it!
bill 4 months ago
wow thanks virginia, this really helped me out!!!!
Virginia Kearney 4 months agofrom United States
Hi Stephen-I have several articles that tell you all of the steps you need to know for writing your argument paper. Just look at my profile or look at the articles linked to the side.
Stephen 4 months ago
Ammmm can u tell me how or what to do after I chose a topic like getting info.
I LOVE RESEARCH 4 months ago
wow, quite impressive. keep up the good work!! :)))))))))))
marisol 4 months ago
this really helped me
aziza 4 months ago
I would like to thank you so so much for these great topics.
Shaleeta 6 months ago
This is a great resource. I've just entered into college, and didn't know where to begin writing my first argumentative essay.
Thanks so much - voted up :)
Kennedy 6 months ago
Do you know or have you written of anything to do with the argumentative essay of "should smoking be banned" because I have to do essays with research and I need some reliable sites
Virginia Kearney 6 months agofrom United States
Hi Aashi! I'm glad that younger students are finding my work too. Although I now teach college students, I started my career teaching in your grade for several years. I will have to put together some topics for primary grade students. Until then, you might want to look at my High School Topics, which have many ideas which are good for your age too.
Aashi 6 months ago
I am in primary school in grade 6 and I want some good topics for primary students
Badass 8 months ago
Good job making this page
Thea 8 months ago
I don't know what to do at first. I was clueless and was browsing for answers but none of them made sense except for this. Thank you very much!
love 9 months ago
I think the ideas are wonderful and are very helpful!
Beth 9 months ago
I am a Junior in high school and I have to write an argumentative paper. Your insight on how to do so has been extremely helpful. I wanted to thank you for your intelligence on how to write an argumentative paper.
Ocean 11 months ago
Thanks! This website was very useful for picking out a topic for my essay. Again, thank you for helping me out!
King of Stuff 13 months ago
I find this website very interesting and helpful. Thank you for making it! Your tips on writing essays is really helping me out.
Mr. fluffypants 13 months ago
I love this article. You have helped me with my school essay. Thank you!
letter pile 13 months ago
I LOVE this website!!!! Thank you so much for writing it! It has helped me so much!
Virginia Kearney 14 months agofrom United States
Hi Nataly! You are welcome to shift the focus of the questions to whether governments should take action. My questions and topic ideas are just a starting point. I teach my students that there are a variety of ways to solve problems and one of those is by having governments or larger groups take action. However, I want my students to focus more on how they and their audience can personally take responsibility and action, so often my questions are more locally written. In my class, I focus on having my students address a very particular audience in their persuasive essays because effective arguments come from really thinking carefully about the viewpoint of the other person and developing points that would persuade that person. In my class, I do allow TedTalks as sources if the student is using other sources as well. However, I don't think all professors do accept that type of source. Most people who do TedTalks have written out their arguments in papers or books, so I'd suggest you research to see if there is an online paper you can cite as well.
Nataly 14 months ago
I find your lists great and really appreciate the idea of providing useful links. Still, I would rather shift the focus of some questions so that they ask students to think more globally, from the point of view of the state and the society. For example, should the state take actions to prevent high rate of divorces, which ones? Are people in developed states responsible for providing water and food to the starving people around the globe?, etc. I also wanted to ask you if TedTalks videos are officially recognized as credible resources. Have you ever heard of any cases when professors forbid to use it? Thank you for a good work!
Hulya Gulyurt 15 months ago
This helped me so much with my homework, thank you!
Abdul 15 months ago
Great Efforts ...Well done
kk 15 months ago
i am a kid
vashan 17 months ago
should guns be allowed on school campus
Virginia Kearney 19 months agofrom United States
This is an interesting topic idea bojoi--and definitely one that would be controversial. I'd love to hear how you would develop your thesis.
preetyradd 20 months ago
i think this is cool i got a good grade on my essay thanks
Kanwal asif 20 months ago
Thank u so much God bless u
Virginia Kearney 23 months agofrom United States
Glad this will help you three keys!
Threekeys 23 months agofrom Australia
Im about to try out your suggestions in this great article. Im excited to see what the outcome will be in how I take a more pointed or comprehensive approach in a "written debate" so to speak. Thanks so much!
djazira k 2 years ago
Thank you it is really helpful.
kamila 2 years ago
Thank you so much for the topics
Trisha Roberts 3 years agofrom Rensselaer, New York
Love the great ideas! Absolutely love the list you shared with us. Thank you so much for this Article!
Kalai 3 years agofrom Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Sometimes i find that the most easy or obvious topic the hardest to argue about. The less the words the greater the headache. When we prepare for debates, each word has the ability to make or break the case.
Rae Saylor 4 years agofrom Australia
What an interesting range of ideas and tips! Massive thanks for writing this, pal! Voted up :)
Eiddwen 4 years agofrom Wales
A great hub Victoria ;thanks for sharing and I vote up.
Dianna Mendez 4 years ago
This is very useful to those who must teach essay writing (and to those who must write them). I know I will be using this next time I teach English Comp. Voted up++
ExpectGreatThings 4 years agofrom Illinois
Wow! This is a very impressive list and great instructions. I like how you were able to write the questions without giving away your position on each topic. - Ginger
Eric Dierker 4 years agofrom Spring Valley, CA. U.S.A.
Very interesting. Fun ideas and great food for thought.
An argumentative essay is a particular type of academic writing. It requires students to develop and articulate a clear position on their respective research topic. This argumentative position is advanced and supported through the engaged use of research to support the writer's perspective in the attempt to convince his or her audience to share the author's view. To write a strong argumentative essay, students should begin by familiarizing themselves with some of the common, and often conflicting, positions on the research topic so that they can write an informed paper. Students then need to begin compiling relevant evidence, including statistics, expert opinions, and verifiable facts to support their position.
Generally speaking, the primary purpose of an argumentative essay is to persuade an audience to see things from another perspective, particularly one that may go against their entrenched presuppositions.
What Constitutes a Strong Argumentative Essay Topic?
In choosing your topic, it is often a good idea to begin with a subject that you already have some familiarity with. Even if you chose to hire professional help for the paper, writing on a topic you have knowledge of and interest in will make a much better platform for your ideas, and you will have a better command of the relevant issues pertaining to your topic. It is often a good idea to choose a topic that tends to elicit an emotional response. Getting your audience invested emotionally can go a long way in persuading them to see your perspective, and getting engaged with your paper.
Chose Your Own Topic or Have Your Essay Completed For You
We provide an excellent list of topics to get you started writing your own argumentative essay. However, we also offer services to have your essay written for you for a small fee. Our company currently has hundreds of professional writers with extensive backgrounds in academic contexts, including research, essay and dissertation writing. Our employees have written hundreds of essays for students across the world. Our company has the knowledge and experience required to customize essays to suit any academic context or subject, and to ensure you receive the grade you want. Contact us now to see how we can provide you with these services!
If you decide to compose the paper on your own, below is the list of strong argumentative paper topics. Some of the more frequently discussed ones include sample essays.
Middle and High School Level Topics
- Should obtaining contraceptives require teenagers to have parental approval?
- Should restrictions be imposed on the number of passengers a minor is allowed to transport in his or her vehicle?
- Should it be mandatory to obtain a high school education?
College Level Topics
- When is it justifiable to employ military force?
- If a minor commits a crime, should the parents be held accountable?
- Should academic success be the main determining factor in college admissions?
Topics You Would be Wise to Avoid
- Is our current governmental process just?
- Are athletes unfairly compensated for their skills?
- Should a moral limit be imposed on how far science can go?
- Should we take at face value all of the claims made by infomercials?
- Should it be permissible to post videos of funny cats on social media sites?
- What song is the absolute worst one ever written?
- Video and computer games can negatively impact those who play them.
- Sexual education is the best way to prevent teenage pregnancy and a variety of other issues.
- Is it legal to terminate a pregnancy?
Topics in Bioethics
- Is it moral or justifiable to employ animals in research?
- Cloning should be a forbidden practice.
Topics Pertaining to the IT Sphere
- Some internet browsers and search engines can prompt privacy and security concerns among users.
- Sites, where you can download protected content, violate copyright laws.
- Should there be regulations imposed on YouTube commenters?
- Do you agree or disagree that the Internet has become too commercialized?
Topics Relevant to Legal Issues
- Do gun control regulations help to reduce crime?
- Is capital punishment a justifiable action?
- Is the practice of euthanasia a defensible one?
- The book "Twelve Angry Men" is a literary representation of democracy, including its potential flaws.
- Should same-sex marriage be legalized?
- It is never justifiable to submit someone to torture.
- Smoking in commonly held places should not be permitted.
- Regulations in society are becoming too controlling.
- It is wrong to make the use of marijuana legal in some states.
- It should be illegal to produce and sell cigarettes.
Topics of Social Concern
- Racial tolerance is enhanced by cross-cultural marriages.
- The behavior of children from one-parent homes is different from those who come from a two-parent household.
- Criminal activity is more frequently engaged in by men rather than women.
- Youthfulness makes people more rebellious by nature, and consequently, young adults are more receptive to negative influence.
- Children who saw violence on TV are more likely to be violent themselves
- Sexual content on TV influences teenagers in a negative way.
- The best way to improve education is to homeschool children.
- Because trees recycle air, the destruction of rainforests should be prohibited.
- To reduce gas prices, should countries drill for oil in environmentally protected places?
- Global warming does not actually exist.
- Do electric cars potentially offer a remedy to worldwide pollution?
Topic Pertaining to Society and the Media
- Is it true or false that women' body images are influenced by the media?
- Is it true or false that there is causality between playing violent video games and perpetuating violence in schools?
- Do cities have an obligation to preserve old or historic buildings?
- Losing weight can not be achieved by dieting.
- Acquiring the loyalty of employees can only be done through monetary rewards.
- Career success is no longer dependent on life-long learning skills.
- The veracity of Correspondence Theory of Truth is a legitimate position to hold.
- Japan should not be allowed to claim the Dokdo islands as they are the property of Korea.
- Ghost hunting involves the deception of people.
Advice on How to Write an Excellent Argumentative Essay
- body paragraphs
Utilizing the above structure for an argumentative essay will help keep you focused, and ensure that your audience can follow your argument.
- The opening paragraph states the paper's thesis topic clearly and concisely and elaborates very briefly on the background as well as the importance of the subject.
- The body paragraphs come after the introduction paragraph. This is where the writer advances his or her arguments and provides accurate and trustworthy evidence to support them.
- The type of supporting evidence should be based on the topic of the essay: factual, anecdotal, logical or statistical.
- After conveying his or her own position, the author addresses alternative perspectives.
- The essay is finished with a concluding paragraph. This is a highly important component of the essay, as this makes a final impression on the reader. Here the author should briefly summarize the key points he or she has made in the body paragraphs, as well as state why his or her perspective is to be preferred. A few comments on the significance of the topic for a contemporary audience should also be included here. The conclusion should not include any new information that was not previously addressed in the paper.
Another helpful resource to make your writing seem more polished is to employ connection words.
How are Connection Words Supposed to be Used in Writing an Argumentative Essay?
Connection words act like bridges between the ideas articulated in your paper. They assist in the flow of the paper as you transition from one idea to another.
Addition: also, in addition, together, likewise;
Contrast: however, in reality, still, despite, nevertheless, otherwise;
Cause or Purpose: for the purpose of, as/so long as, given that, with this in mind;
Result: therefore, for this reason, consequently, accordingly, as a result;
Conclusion: all things considered, as shown above, in conclusion, for the most part, to summarize.
How Will this Knowledge Help Me in the Future?
Knowing how to write a strong argumentative paper helps you advance your own argumentative thinking. Thinking critically and being able to persuasively advocate your own position are fundamentally important skills to have in contemporary society. In many professional contexts, respectful argumentation is what leads to the development of new ideas and perspectives. Being able to compose a strong argument will help you succeed in society.
Part of what constitutes success is the ability to maintain focus, and in particular to direct your focus to what you really think and how you want to devote your future time, life, and resources. The more time you can invest in this, the further ahead you will be in pursuing your career goals.
We have been writing academic papers for students since 2015. We encourage you to employ our services as one of the components of your career success trajectory.
Did you Know?
Many brilliant people who achieved success in life were actually academic drop-outs. Because they were so preoccupied with what was important to them, they often couldn't complete their homework on time. Regardless if you are a successful business entrepreneur, have a hectic job in a fast-paced corporation, or have a personal emergency or unforeseen circumstance, failing a class or module is a possibility if you do not have your academic work submitted in time. That's why our essay writers are here to provide assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg had been aware of our services, they likely would have gotten their degrees on time!